Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blog Facelift

For a little while now I've been meaning to add some pages to this blog. You know - the static pages accessible from a menu (or tab) bar across the top. Today I finally got around to doing that. I added a "Resources and Links" page (or tab, if you prefer that term). There isn't much there yet, but I've started with a list of tutorial sites for photoshop as well as the main geocaching site. (I'll leave off genealogy links as I already have them posted on a page on my genealogy blog.)

Any way, what I very quickly discovered is that to customize the tab bar within the blogger designer tool necessitated that I switch to one of their "new" template designs. The alternative was to leave the tab bar unstyled or wade through the html code to figure out how the tab bar was implemented and then generate my own CSS code or customize the html directly. (Ugh!!!) Since a quick google search didn't come up with any solutions, I took the "easy" way out and switched to a different template - the one called Travel.

It's not too bad but it's static width. The old template, Minima Stretch, was variable width. Variable width windows will automatically adjust their content (at least to a degree) when the browser window is stretched or compressed by dragging on the left or right sides of the window. I really like that feature and it is the reason I was using Minima Stretch in the first place. Well, c'est la vie. Guess I'll just have to get used to the static window. More likely I'll just have to keep checking for a variable-width blogger template or for someone to post a reasonably quick and easy method for customizing a tab menu bar for the Minima template.

That's it for now. Look for more resources to be added to the "Resource and Links" page shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment